Sunday, June 28, 2009

they finally caught me

After observing my wife's suffering of diets, which went in waves, from fat to slim, and back again, from diet to diet, with lists of food, what she was allowed to eat and what was on the black list. I always thought this was an occupational habit which general strike women of all ages, and provides a marvelous discussion subject, when meeting with friends, likewise on the same torture regime.

But my dear doctor, bless his soul, decided that I (yes I mean me) also needed to start dieting, he admits that I only developed a fat belly, but as the healer explained, that is the crucial part of the body were obesity can be dangerous for your health, specially if you getting on in age. Thus, I took the list of my ailments and recommendations of my physician, and made an appointment with the dietitian.

The dietitian (a nice lady, half my age), measured me, weighted me and ask questions like what do I eat general during the day, after I told her according my memory, what I usually consume, she said that there are two possibilities, or my story is not very accurate, or she needs to buy a new scale, because according my story, I should be a walking skeleton. Of course, I had pity on this nice lady, did not want to force her in expenses of buying a new scale, and accepted the fact that my daily eating habits need to be adjusted to a diet.

I must admit, the diet prescribed doesn't look very hard to follow, and basically contains more or less my usual food intake, but without the in between, or foods containing a high percentage of fat.
With a list of food which I am allowed to eat, I went home, and cleaned out the fridge from forbidden items, like hard cheese, sausages, etc.
I am rather lucky, as I don't like sweets, and the lack in cakes, cookies or other sweet things don't bother me at all.

The first days of my diet were very hard, I graved for just those kinds of foods, that were forbidden, not to mention the hunger between the meals, but relatively quick I got adjusted to the new feeding regime, and even started to lose weight.
After ten days, I had a new check-up by the dietitian, and behold, I managed to lose 1200 gram, Yes you see correctly 1.2 kilogram in 10 days or 120 gram per day, which is in one year 43.8 kilo, which is too much, as I need to lose around 20 kilogram, which will take me, at this rate only 166 days or 24 weeks, or nearly an half year.

But like always, the experts take the fun away, and tell me that it is much easier to lose the first 5 kilos, and slimming afterwards is much more difficult, but we will see, who will have to put sand in his pockets, in order not to blow away in the wind.

Dieting on itself, is not very difficult, provided you don't look at the TV or listen to the radio, as they advertise and tell stories, which makes your stomach suffer, like a program on TV showing a market shop in Jerusalem, who sold cheeses, (more than 600 kinds), the smell came over, through the screen, I made a run to the fridge, but thank God, it did not contain any forbidden foods, but I don't know why, the raw vegetables meal afterwards didn't provide any satisfaction.
But life goes on, and we were invited to a wedding. Generally, I do not enjoy the food at weddings, which are based on basic elements like roast chicken, and pastries, but just my luck, the wedding was a culinary festivity, with appetizers like veal in a piquant tomato sauce, fish tidbits, asado, etc, and as main course, salmon, steak and who knows what more, I tried only a few items, but felt that I betrayed my country, and thought that the danger was irrevocable, but it seems, the body makes allowances for one time only sidesteps.

Now I am suggesting to all our friends, to get their kids to marry, or at least Bar Mitzvah, a wedding anniversary or any reason for having a feast (of course with inviting us). I like to end with quoting the famous song from Oliver "glorious food", and I am now too hungry to look up the precise words of the song.

No comments: