Monday, November 30, 2009

I am not a number

By David Verveer

It all started with the visit to the family doctor in the near by polyclinic. In the early days (about 30 years ago), the patients arriving to see the doctor would write there name on a piece of paper, and according the order in this paper, they would enter the doctor's room. Of course there were exemptions, soldiers in uniform, who had to return fast to the army, were ushered in and seen by the doctor without queue, also people with small babies in their care, were pushed through, of course there were also people, who only want to ask the doctor a question, wont take a second, and in they went, but that did not mean that they would come out just as quick. Of course, people clearly suffering, complaining of pain and misery, would jump some positions in waiting, but in general, the system worked quiet well, people who needed to see the doctor, would take in advance a half free day from work. But I did not mention the horror, called "people with protection", which would come in, walk strait to the door, knock on the door, without waiting, enter, and after a few minutes the poor patient who was half way explaining the doctor his complains, would be asked to wait for a few minutes outside, as the newly arrived person had "protection".

What was protection, the best protection was to be friend with the doctor, or his superiors, but also officials serving the Union, or friend of the Mayor would get the protection. But don't think that the patients in the waiting room would take all this in silence, a heavy argument would develop, in which everybody in the room explained why he can't wait, why he should have received protection, you would learn about their horrible diseases, theirs and their family, but apparently most would survive and endure the waiting.

But than started the reform, doctors told their patients to phone to the office for an appointment, and indeed, when you arrive at the pre arranged time, you get a number, and after waiting, more or less, one hour, you go in to see your doctor, who has already your file at hand, and efficiently starts to hand out recipes to cure your complaint. The new system is very efficient, but highly contagions, suddenly we get numbers at the butchers in the super market, the dispensary, even the post office.

Here in Israel, one is asked everywhere for your ID number, your name is only in order to check if you do not pretend to be somebody else, and, I have to admit, I do not remember my ID number by heart, which is considered dumb, is it not anough that I have to remember my phone number, my computer password, that I remember my post code, my ex army number and even my student number at high school. Do they realize that I am not a number; I am a human, with a family and private name, and even a code name, but not a number, I realize that it is a matter of getting used to it, and see in the future, a mother calling her son, 325/9 come to mama, but not me, I am not a number.

No comments: