Sunday, May 24, 2009

The necktie, an unnecessary relic from the past

The necktie, an unnecessary relic of the past

By David Verveer

Can anybody explain me why people put on a necktie, what is the purpose of this peculiar part of the dress code? It doesn't have any purpose, and so far I could look it up, it never had a task, like a hat, or trousers, a shirt or jacket, or socks and shoes for that matter. What I noticed when I started to look it up are the negative arguments against the necktie, without anybody promoting it, besides the manufacturers and fashion people.

According the articles I read, the necktie originated from the 18th century, blood soaked ties worn by the Croatian soldiers returning from the war in service of the French king (Louis 14th), and was then adopted by him as a status symbol, the "cravat".

Others opinioned that the necktie is a male phallic symbol, in my mind, a bid far fetched, but if you think about it, it must have had somehow a function, even if it served only as male indicator.

But do you realize the dangers of the necktie, starting with causing problems with your eyesight, if the tie is worn too tight, to an epidemic bacterial spreader, from getting dirty in the soup bowl to getting caught in the door or by moving equipment parts.

Here in Israel ties are worn by elder people, orthodox Jews or at Weddings and official ceremonies, most young people refrain from putting on a tie, logically because our warm climate. In the time of the pioneers (thirtieth, forties and fifties) wearing a tie was thought freaky, even though bank employees were required to were ties. In 1958, in my kibbutz, my friends borrowed ties I had brought with me from Europe, and after I made their knots (they had no notion how to do it) we went dressed up with ties to our Purim celebration (our kind of carnival). It was a great hilarious success, with my friends trying to be gallant with the girls, as they had seen in the movies, by helping them to sit down near the table, opening the door for them, and so on, and actions uncommon by Sabres (Israeli born).

However, still, anchormen on the Israeli Television are forced to wear ties and wear a jackets when on screen, a requirement which is silly and does not make any sense, but several times, I saw that they wore it with jeans, as the camera films only their upper part of the body.

I noted that in the tropical and subtropical countries the dress code requires a neck tie, while cooler Western Europe, the tie is getting less popular, which does not make sense, but wearing a tie has nothing to do with sense and logic.

The Dutch / German prince Claus, the late husband of Queen Beatrix, at an official ceremony, removed his necktie and placed it very demonstrative in front of his wife, the queen. His action caused the establishment of a movement called the Anti Necktie organization, which never managed to influence the official dressing, code, especially not in snobbish restaurants were only tie wearers are allowed to dine, I wouldn't go there, even if they paid me.

I think we have to ask All Gore to join the Anti Necktie movement, as people wearing ties produce more Carbon dioxide, (bullshit) and cause an increase in Global warming.

No comments: