Friday, April 11, 2008

commemorating what?

Commemorating what?

By David Verveer

With screeching brakes (I don't know if this is the right spelling for a loud squeaking sound of the tires on the asphalt), I managed stopping my car on the high-way, after hearing the non expected sirens, indicating that we (patriotic citizens) memorize the fallen victims of one of our numerous wars. Generally, I am well prepared for those sirens, and stand in full attention near my car, minimum 5 minutes in advance, as I don't want to look not patriotic.

However, this time, not only, they did not warn us in advance, I even did not know (and still don't know) what was the occasion, did we commemorate the Holocaust victims, fallen soldiers, soldiers who died and their burial grounds are unknown or the last (2nd) Lebanon war. But I was not alone in the confusion, a file of cars behind me, also stopped their cars, but unlike me, they did not leave their cars, for them it was sufficient to utter a short prayer from the open window, which sounded to me like "yossy and matty mania", but I really don't know, as I don't know Aramaic, and those prayers are generally in the local language of that time, just like the yishkadal" prayer.

I however noticed that this prayer is shouted, and an angry face expression is required, I will have to ask my grandson, how one performs this custom.

Funny, some of the motorists were even less prepared than me, as they bumped on each other, which is stupid and shows that they did not pay attention to the road, I was taught to count 21, 22, 23, distance from the car before, and if that car suddenly stops, I will have sufficient time to stop. But I am really a good driver, never drives faster than 43 km an hour, and people always blow their horns in appreciation when they pass me on the way. Funny expression, "blow their horn", of course they don't blow anything, only push the button, but you understand what I meant.

I stood in attention until the sirens stopped, but even without moving my head, I noticed that especially the very religious and pious Jews continued their drive, ignoring the call for showing their respect for the sacrifice made also for them, but that does not amaze me, as I have seen videos, were those rabbis refused to sing our national anthem. I personally would have saluted, but last time I saluted my grandson told me that only people in uniform salute.

When the sirens stopped, I got back in my car and continued my journey, but many other motorists stayed behind, and I expect they discussed their deep emotions, of the happenings of which they were so suddenly reminded by the sirens. I always enjoy the intense nationalism and patriotic feelings of our citizens, in the last 60 years we really became a united nation.

When I came home and told my wife what has happened on the highway, she looked at me in a real funny way, and only said "tumtam" (stupid), meaning that I get emotional about those little things, but you must admit, getting emotional about the behavior of your fellow citizens, is a positive reaction.

p.s. sirens were heard all over Israel, during a national civil defense execise.

No comments: