Friday, June 22, 2007

Kosher or not kosher, that is the question

Kosher or not kosher, that is the question

By David Verveer

I realize that one of the most important causes of survival of the Jewish nation in the last 2.000 years, was our observance of religious customs, of which the dietary laws are of course the main issue. At the time, kosher laws were thought out, they made enormous sense. By classifying animals in groups, explaining what conditions each group had, and forbidding to consume animals which do not belong to any group, they ((our forefathers) saved us from terrible plagues etc. For example, for not allowing us to eat pork, most probable saved us from extinction, as pig meat, without refrigeration and in poor hygienic conditions spoils much faster than cow or chicken meat.

But I am not intending to defend kosher laws, as everybody has to decide for himself, what he wants to eat. For example my daughter, her husband and children are vegetarians (out principle). This of course does not mean, they are angry if we eat meat, and when they come on a visit, we prepare for them special vegetarian dishes, no problems there. But the religious establishment here in Israel, thinks they have to prevent me to eat not kosher, and that I find objectionable. What I put in my mouth is my concern and my responsibility only and accounted for in my personal account with God, and that has nothing to do with any Rabbi, or hypocrite such as Mr Guydamak, trying to buy the not kosher food chain of Tiv Taam, in order to convert it into a kosher (and more expensive) food chain.

I must admit that the attempted coup by Guydamak angered me, as this was an attack on tolerance and freedom of religion, which free-thinking Israelis fought for, for so many years. We do not want to pay for religious parasites, dressed in clothing unsuitable for our hot climate, with a hat and an unhygienic beard, standing in the way of the butchers, cutting open slaughtered animals, in order to get his permission, (bribe) that the meat is kosher.

I am sure that in Mizra, (the main not kosher meat supplier for the “Tiv Taam” food chain), the only person to decide if the meat is fit for consumption, is the highly qualified vet, trained in testing meats, investigating if it is clean, disease free and fresh.

I don’t eat kosher, (for personal reasons), but will never cause anybody else unwillingly to eat not kosher food. And like me there are around 2 million people in Israel, who prefer not to contribute to the welfare of a small group of religious zealots, who, with the use of a type of witchcraft, decide what is consumed on my table. Further more, I very much object to the salt treatment of meat, which was perfect before we discovered electricity, but today causes serious environmental problems for safely disposal, besides it spoiling the meat quality. True, before the refrigeration era, blood rich meat would spoil fast, but today, salt bathing meat is like lighting fire by rubbing stones.

There are many peculiar rules in the kosher laws, why for example are we not allowed to eat catfish or eel, the reason for this, was of course, that those fish did not exist in the Middle East, and do not have scales (a requirement for fish). However, the Rabbinical council is now examining those species, and found minuscule small scales, and it might be that in the far future, smoked eel will be kosher, depending of course, if the above mentioned council belongs to the correct branch of Judaism, (at least Ashkenazim, preferable Hasidim).

Sea fruit is also not allowed, but funny enough, Locust (a creature related to the crustaceans) are allowed, providing they are slaughtered in the correct way, and received the suitable blessing. I am not sure yet, if all preparation methods are acceptable, such as barbecuing them, but surely, raw, like fish, would be questionable.

But returning to the subject of my argument, please let me live my life, don’t try to protect me, and allow me to make up my own mind on what I eat, or what I do in my kitchen. I am sure that if and when our religious leaders were bothering more with today, instead of glorifying the past, they would realize that our kosher laws could be adjusted and corrected, based on science and knowledge of our day. I wonder what is the real religious value of eating imitation shrimps (made from kosher fish), or eating smoked crackers, which surprisingly have a similar taste as baked bacon. What about crab cakes made from fish? Who are you kidding?

You realize that if everybody stopped eating pork, there would be no reason what so ever to raze those nice animals, and in a few years they would disappear, except in southern Europe were they are used to discover truffles. I am sure that is not what the good lord intended to happen to one of his creations, but on the other hand, I am not too sure about it, as look what he did to those kind dinosaurs? Is dinosaur meat kosher?

No comments: